Sleep apnea is a common, yet serious form of sleep disorder that typically arises with ailments or abnormalities within the mouth. Sleep apnea is an irregular pattern or interrupted breathing patterns while you sleep. If a person suffers from sleep apnea, it can cause serious problems in the body, including high blood pressure, strokes, and heart attacks. Although spotting it can be difficult, here are some of the potential risk factors for sleep apnea:
– Genetics can play a huge role in the presence or development of sleep apnea, especially if you have an abundant family history of it.
– Sleep apnea is extremely common in individuals who suffer from a deviated septum and other similar forms of nasal blockage or obstructions.
– Males are often at the highest risk for sleep apnea.
– Individuals over the age of 40 are at an increased risk for sleep apnea.
– Random disorders such as allergies and sinus problems can contribute to the presence of sleep apnea.
– Various genetic predispositions can increase your risk for sleep apnea, including an enlarged tongue, oversized tonsils, or even a small-sized jaw relative to your mouth.
No matter the needs you require from your oral health care, our team at 29th Street Dental Care can help. Drs. John Phillips, Reed Perryman, or Bob Womack can give you a comprehensive oral examination to determine if you suffer from sleep apnea and require treatment. To schedule a visit to our dental office in Chickasha, Oklahoma, call us at 405-222-0222. Come see us, and let us show you the benefits of a sleep apnea-free life today!